For Gas, the South African Qualification and Certification Committee (SAQCC) have the Liquid Petroleum Gas Safety Association of South Africa (LPGSASA) which requires the following certification for gas appliances;
1) A Test Report from an accredited licensed testing authority showing that the unit meets the specifications of the South African National Standards (SANS 1539 2012)
2) They can now issue an Appliance Verification Permit for that model. This means that this model will now be registered on their Safe Appliance Data Base and can now be legally imported and sold in South Africa.
3) A purchased unit now needs to be installed by a currently registered SAQCC Gas Authorized Practitioner, gas installer. It is illegal to install these units yourself.
4) The Registered Gas Installer will issue a Certificate of Compliance once they have installed the unit. This means that the gas appliance can now be used. Without it any damage or injury incurred will not be covered by your insurance and can result in charges being laid.
5) If you sell your house then a current Certificate of Compliance is required.